Contest-Winning Broccoli Cornbread
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornmeal, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 large eggs, room temperature, beaten
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup of cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, combine the eggs, broccoli, cheeses, onion and butter. Add to cornmeal mixture; mix just until moistened.
- Sprinkle remaining cornmeal in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Pour batter into pan. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 227 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 448mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 29, 2017
We love the combination of broccoli and corn bread here. The bread is moist and flavorful!!!
Mar 1, 2011
Delicious! I like this because it calls for original ingredients, not cornbread muffin mix. My only variation: I used fresh broccoli, (cooked crisp tender, and chopped, 3 cups). It was delicious, I will definitely do it again. Thanks for the recipe!