Contest-Winning Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake Recipe
The first thing I do when fresh blueberries are in season is bake this coffee cake for my husband, Carl. I've tried a lot of others, but this is the recipe I always come back to. I have access to lots of recipes and cooking tips since all my sisters are good cooks. One is a home economics teacher, and I belong to a home economics club.
- COFFEE CAKE BATTER:
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- CHEESE FILLING:
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1 cup reserved crumbs from Coffee Cake Batter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. To make batter, combine flour, sugar and salt in large bowl; cut in butter as for pie crust. Reserve 1 cup of mixture. Add baking powder, milk, eggs and vanilla to larger portion of dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl constantly. Pour evenly in greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with blueberries. Blend cheese, egg, sugar and lemon peel until smooth; spoon evenly over blueberries. Make topping by mixing reserved crumbs, nuts, brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over cheese layer. Bake at 350° for 45-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool slightly before cutting. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake
Reviewed Apr. 14, 2015
"can you substitute cream cheese for ricotta? Sukie"
Reviewed May. 11, 2010
"The filling and blueberries sunk to the bottom makeing the finished product soggy on the bottom. Very disappointed in the recipe."
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC