Contest-Winning Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- COFFEE CAKE BATTER:
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- CHEESE FILLING:
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1 cup reserved crumbs from Coffee Cake Batter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To make batter, combine flour, sugar and salt in large bowl; cut in butter as for pie crust. Reserve 1 cup of mixture. Add baking powder, milk, eggs and vanilla to larger portion of dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl constantly. Pour evenly in greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with blueberries. Blend cheese, egg, sugar and lemon zest until smooth; spoon evenly over blueberries. Make topping by mixing reserved crumbs, nuts, brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over cheese layer. Bake at 350° for 45-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool slightly before cutting.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 14, 2015
can you substitute cream cheese for ricotta? Sukie
May 11, 2010
The filling and blueberries sunk to the bottom makeing the finished product soggy on the bottom. Very disappointed in the recipe.