- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 3 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions, undrained
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- In a small bowl, mash one can black beans; set aside. In a Dutch oven, saute the celery, onion, red pepper, jalapeno and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, cumin, coriander, hot sauce, pepper, bay leaf, remaining beans and reserved mashed beans.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Stir in lime juice. Garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream and 1-1/2 teaspoons green onion. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews forContest-Winning Black Bean Soup
"This is an excellent recipe! I mostly followed it but started with dry beans (2lb) and went from there. I pureed 2 cans of Rotel tomatoes with 1/2 the beans , doubling everthing else. What I want to say is that this soup is also excellent cold. I topped it with scallions, sour cream and avacado. YUM."
"Left out the coriander and topped with cilantro. Everyone really liked this soup!"
"We liked this soup, actually I love anything with black beans. My soup didn't look quite as thick as pictured, in fact it was quite brothy ( if that's a word) looking. I added a can of refied black beans to thicken it up, I didn't use the whole onion and I only used 1.5 tsp of cumin., other than that it perfect. I should've made some corn bread to go with it. I'll be making it again."
"Just started a 10 day vegetarian diet, and good recipes without tofu are hard to find. This soup is so good, full of flavor and healthy benefits. There's not a spicy kick with this soup, just a great flavor. I didn't have coriander, cumin, and none of us likes celery, but if you add a little salt and pepper, you won't miss it. Definitely something I will make again."
"Does this soup have much heat to it my husband doesn't like anything to spicy and I would love to try it."
"Added ground flax seed to make this delicious soup even healthier. Served with baked southwest sandwiches. Wonderful."