- 1 package (32 ounces) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 12 hoagie buns, split
- 3 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine meatballs, onion, brown sugar, soup mix and beer. Cook, covered, on low until meatballs are cooked through, 3-4 hours.
- Place five or six meatballs on each bun bottom. Sprinkle each sandwich with 1/4 cup cheese. Place on baking sheets. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes. Replace bun tops. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forContest-Winning Bavarian Meatballs
"These were really easy to put together and everyone liked them."
"I have two very picky eaters on my hands and these were a winner in their book. They ate them all up and even had leftovers the next day. Great flavor and an inexpensive meal to throw together in a hurry."
"I thought this was a solid and different kind of recipe....I made around the holidays as a fast meal for guests. It was tasty and appealing, for the adults. I would make again, although stick with this for the grown ups."
"My husband really liked them, kids not so much."
"This recipe is excellent. My entire family loved it!"
"These have such great flavor i drizzled just a bit of ranch over the top and so yummy!!! These will also be great as just an appitizer will be making again for sure!!"
"I made these for a family reunion two years ago. Had so many great responses and requests for the recipe, that I'm making it again for another family reunion this year!!"
"SO GOOD! And easy to throw together in the crock pot and forget about while you have company! I have been asked for this recipe every time I serve these."