Contest-Winning Barbecued Spareribs
Meet the Cook: All of us - my husband, our two sons (19 and 16) and I - love to eat barbecued ribs. But the closest rib restaurant to us in Denver, 150 miles away. So I came up with this recipe. It's now our traditional meal on the Fourth of July. -Jane Uphoff, Idalia, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Grill: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 pounds pork spareribs
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine the first four ingredients; rub over ribs. For sauce, combine the remaining ingredients; set aside.
- Grill ribs, covered, over indirect heat and medium-low coals for 1 hour, turning occasionally. Add 10 briquettes to coals. Grill 30 minutes longer, basting both sides several times with sauce or until meat is tender.
Nutrition Facts12 ounce-weight: 762 calories, 56g fat (19g saturated fat), 191mg cholesterol, 938mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 48g protein.
Originally published as Barbecued Spareribs in Country Woman July/August 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.