Total TimePrep: 10 min. Grill: 40 min.
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 4 pounds each), cut up
- SPICE RUB:
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 4 teaspoons salt or salt substitute
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cups ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- Pat chicken pieces dry. In a small bowl, mix spice rub ingredients; reserve 1 tablespoon spice rub for sauce. Rub remaining spice rub on all sides of chicken.
- Grill chicken, uncovered, over medium heat 20 minutes, skin side down. Meanwhile, combine all sauce ingredients; stir in reserved spice rub. Turn chicken; grill 20-30 minutes longer or until juices run clear, basting frequently with sauce.
7 ounces cooked chicken (calculated without Liquid Smoke): 471 calories, 21g fat (6g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 2062mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 42g protein.Originally published as Barbecued Chicken in Taste of Home June/July 1993Read Next
Oct 19, 2018
The sauce is amazing!
Jul 1, 2018
I haven’t made this yet, but I’m wondering if I could make this with skinless chicken pieces? Thoughts?
Dec 29, 2017
Great recipe! I had to bake it in oven! I thought it was much much better the next day. I baked on a rack in a cookie sheet, on lowest rack in oven, covered for 45 minutes. Took off foil, then baked another 30 minutes oven set at 350. Last 10 minutes I set on top rack and broiled . Will make again
Sep 10, 2016
Very moist and great BBQ sauce
It can be prepared in the oven by baking with alittle sauce and then adding remainder of sauce by broiLing it til crispy!!
Sep 1, 2016
This is a good rub for chicken. I cut way back on the salt because I always brine my chicken/turkey before grilling. I used my own sauce because it took me 25 yrs to get it just right. lol I might suggest putting a small handful of Applewood chips in your portable smoker box to add just a hint of smoky flavor. If you do you will need to grill with the grill cover on and the vents wide open.
Aug 31, 2016
I don't have a grill, but this sounds delicious. Has anyone ever made this in the oven, and if so, how did you prepare it?
Aug 29, 2015
Pretty good, nice blend of spices and BBQ sauce. I will make it again. :-)
Jun 2, 2014
I used to make chicken like this when I was younger. Omitted the liquid smoke. It was wonderful !
Jul 4, 2013
An added advantage of this BBQ sauce is that you don't have to marinate the chicken ahead of time. When in a rush or if you decide to grill at the last minute, that's a plus.
May 30, 2013
I accidentally left out the brown sugar and it was STILL delicious! Can't wait to try it with!
Reviews for Contest-Winning Barbecued Chicken
More from Taste of Home