Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makesabout 48 bars
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- In a saucepan, melt shortening over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar. Cool slightly. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add gradually with eggs to shortening mixture. Stir in the vanilla, chips and nuts (batter will be very stiff).
- Spread into a greased and floured 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Cut into squares while warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 144 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 54mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Jan 22, 2015
I forget the nuts and add 1 cup white chocolate chips
Dec 23, 2008
Aren't those good? When we were kids, one of our neighbors used to make these and my DB loved them. I have made them a few times.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.