Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makesabout 48 bars
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- In a saucepan, melt shortening over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar. Cool slightly. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add gradually with eggs to shortening mixture. Stir in the vanilla, chips and nuts (batter will be very stiff).
- Spread into a greased and floured 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Cut into squares while warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 144 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 54mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 22, 2015
I forget the nuts and add 1 cup white chocolate chips
Dec 23, 2008
Aren't those good? When we were kids, one of our neighbors used to make these and my DB loved them. I have made them a few times.