Conga Lime Pork
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 cups broccoli coleslaw mix
- 1 medium mango, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 6 prepared corn muffins
- Lime wedges, optional
- Sprinkle 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper over roast. In a large skillet, brown pork in oil on all sides. Transfer meat to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, saute onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add water, chipotle peppers and molasses, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Pour over pork. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred pork with 2 forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. In a large bowl, combine the coleslaw mix, mango, lime juice, lime zest and remaining salt and pepper. Serve pork with muffins and, if desired, lime wedges; top with slaw.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup pork mixture with 1 muffin and 1/2 cup slaw: 514 calories, 23g fat (7g saturated fat), 135mg cholesterol, 877mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein.
Oct 8, 2017
Easy and flavorful. Love the chipotle flavor!
May 13, 2014
I serve this often now because my family love the variety of flavors..This dish really makes the taste buds sing! The only thing I do differently/ add is I serve the meat n sauce over rice ...& the slaw is a side to it. Also to tame down the heat of the Chipotle I add only 1 pepper and the sauce. Other than that. ..it's terrific just as is! What a super recipe for the days you need a kick start to give your old taste buds a new adventure. Give it a try you'll see what I mean. Thanks TOH for another great keeper recipe!
Oct 8, 2013
I think it was a little too sweet.I guess I was expecting a more savory taste, even some Mexican taste with the chipotle peppers. Not sure which cuisine this would be considered African?maybe? I did like the health aspects with the broccoli slaw instead of a more comfort side of rice or potatoes. This dish was good just not awesome.
Jun 18, 2013
Great combination of flavors. Even my three little ones ate it without complaints, which makes it a winner at my house.
Jun 7, 2012
This recipe sounds unusual but the flavor combination is great! I made it as written, except that instead of buying broccoli coleslaw mix I used julienned peeled broccoli stems, which saved $, and I substituted a peach for the mango because I couldn't find ripe mangoes at the store. The slaw was simple and delicious, and it went surprisingly well with the pork.
Mar 14, 2012
I made this for my family but couldn't find the broccoli slaw so we just ate it pulled on buns with some BBQ sauce on the bun. It was delicious, very moist. I did not mix the BBQ sauce in with the meat, just squirted on the bun as I think BBQ might overpower.It was so good that I doubled the recipe and made it for a party we were having. This time I set it out with the buns and BBQ for those who might like it that way and I also made the slaw for those who wanted it that way. Very versatile and yummy!
Mar 1, 2012
I loved this. I eliminated the cornbread from the recipe to make it gluten free. Yum!
Feb 17, 2012
Can't give it a full 5 stars because I had to tweak it, which means I don't know how the recipe stands alone. Even still, the recipe deserves high praise. My tweaks: used green chiles instead of chipotle (we're spice wimps), and omitted lime peel because for me, peel kills my ability to taste the other flavors. Lime juice was sufficient. The molasses in the pork is a genius combo with the peppers, and the mango in the slaw adds an extra level of flavor that is surprisingly refreshing, not too sweet. The meat is flavorful enough to stand on its own. Made only better by combining it with the cruncy texture of the broccoli and the variety of sweet, savory, and spicy flavors. So much to taste in this one!
Feb 14, 2012
Loved this one - it's in the rotation!
Jan 29, 2012
The spicy-ness of the pork blends well with the cool slaw, lime, and mango flavors. My son just had the meat with rice and he loved it.