Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced rutabaga
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup fresh cauliflowerets
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons butter, optional
- 1 cup process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 5 cups milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- In a microwave-safe 3-qt. baking dish, combine carrots, rutabaga, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, onion, water and butter if desired. Cover and microwave on high for 9 minutes or until vegetables are just tender, stirring three times during cooking.
- Stir in cheese, corn, peas and ham; cover and let stand for 1 minute. Add milk, salt, pepper and sugar; cover and microwave on medium-high, stirring three times, for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted and soup is heated through (do not boil).
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 201 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 827mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Nov 7, 2012
I've loved this recipe from the very first time I made it! The variety of veggies makes it a very pretty soup, and of course there is the health benefit of getting all the nutrition from them. Because this isn't slow cooked, while the flavors do blend a bit, they do not meld, so there is still their own distinct tastes in every bite. The thin milk "broth" has just a very light suggestion of cheesiness, and a touch of the veggies comes through, as well. It's a very appealing dish, distinctly different from every other soup I make.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.