Confetti Fiesta Braids
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (20 slices each)
- 5-1/2 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red, yellow and/or orange peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded jalapeno peppers
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine 4 cups flour, cornmeal, yeast, sugar and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the buttermilk, butter and onion to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in the cheese, corn and peppers. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Divide half of dough into two portions so that one portion is twice the size of the other; shape larger portion into three 16-in. ropes. Place on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under.
- Shape smaller portion into three 10-in. ropes. Braid on a lightly floured surface; tuck ends under. Brush bottom of braid with water and place over larger braid. Cover loaf and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 134 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 195mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Nov 8, 2013
I made this today. I had to use a little extra flour, probably due to the red bell peppers. I made it into loafs, getting 3 loafs of bread. I thought it was to die for and gave some to 3 friends who all felt it was moist and great. One stated I have to orderTaste of Home a gain. A true winner.
Mar 26, 2011
I made this and it was a huge hit.This is sure a bread we want again and my neighbor wants one for Easter.
Mar 9, 2011
I used 1/2 cup of each red, yellow and orange pepper, in addition to the 1/4 cup of jalaepeno pepper. The bread was fabulous. Next time I will not brush as much water under the bottom top layer. It had a tendency to want to slide off center.
Feb 16, 2011
amazing bread. sent a loaf to my son in the military and he also thought it was amazing. seems to be a cross between corn bread and reg bread. very dense and delicious
Feb 12, 2011
This bread is awesome right out of the oven. I loved all all of the ingredients melded together. Will definitely have to make this one again.
Feb 6, 2011
We loved this bread. I made 2 separate loaves and it is so tender and delicious. I will make this again. Shared some with my neighbor and she says she is coming to my house for dinner from now on!
Feb 5, 2011
Delightful, savory bread. Excellent with chili, soup or stews with southern flavor. Well worth the effort. Beautiful braids are quite easy!
Feb 4, 2011
The ingredients might sound a little strange but this bread is AMAZING!!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.