Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 jar (2 ounces) sliced pimiento, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven. Add the carrots, zucchini, broccoli, onion and celery; cook and stir for about 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Sprinkle flour, salt, pepper and sugar over vegetables; mix well.
- Stir in milk and chicken broth; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add corn, ham, peas and pimiento; cook and stir until heated through. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 237 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 762mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Nov 23, 2014
Just made this and will be so great tonight for Sunday supper. I added a little leftover bacon and a clove of garlic. I will add the cheese individually since my husband doesn't like cheese.
Feb 2, 2014
This is a wonderful hearty and healthy chowder. I took it to a potluck lunch for the seniors at the YMCA and it was enjoyed by everyone. Lots of chopping of ingredients, but well worth the effort!
Sep 22, 2011
My family loves when I make this. It is always a big hit. Long list of ingredients may look like its a complicated recipe, but it is really very easy to put together.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.