Coney Island Hot Dog Sauce
Put a spin on a stadium favorite with this hearty, chili-like topping featuring ground beef and a sweet-and-sassy sauce. The blend of flavors has mass appeal that makes it a winner for any large-group gathering.—Carole Bull, Traverse City, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper, optional
- In a small skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomato sauce, relish, vinegar, chili powder, mustard, salt, pepper and cayenne if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 40-50 minutes or until desired thickness, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 48 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 305mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Coney Island Hot Dog Sauce in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2009