Company’s Coming Turkey
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 3-1/2 hours + standing
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large onions, quartered, divided
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 3 cups white wine or additional chicken broth
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- In a small bowl, combine 5 tablespoons butter, minced garlic, poultry seasoning and minced rosemary and thyme. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey breast; rub butter mixture under the skin. Rub remaining butter over skin of turkey. Sprinkle salt and pepper over turkey and inside cavity.
- Place two onions, garlic cloves and rosemary and thyme sprigs inside the cavity. Place turkey on a rack in a large shallow roasting pan. Pour broth and wine into pan. Add celery, carrots and remaining onion.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3-1/2-4 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before slicing. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy.
Nutrition Facts8 ounce-weight: 656 calories, 31g fat (11g saturated fat), 264mg cholesterol, 619mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 73g protein.
Feb 28, 2012
this is so perfect for my meal tonight
Feb 20, 2011
I made this for our family's Thanksgiving and we had company over too, so it was doubly perfect. It was delicious and really pretty easy to make. I will definitely be making this again and am including the recipe to be put into my family's recipe book! Thanks for the great flavors!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.