- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; add cheeses, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Drain macaroni; add to the cheese sauce and stir to coat.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs and parsley. Sprinkle over macaroni. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forCompany Mac and Cheese
"This mac and cheese is INSANELY good! I did change some stuff though. I melted all of the butter and whisked it with rice flour instead of all purpose, then added the milk in and heated it until it was thick. After the milk was thickened, I put cream cheese and pepperjack cheese in until melted. I used rice pasta, and I made 16 ounces of it to mix in with the sauce. Literally the BEST mac and cheese I have ever tasted. Instead of salting the sauce, I put a bunch of salt in the water for boiling the pasta. I didn't even need to add extra salt to the sauce. YUM!!!"
"This mac and cheese is soo creamy and good. Perfect comfort food!!"
"It was very creamy but bland. I added garlic salt and extra cheddar to help give it more flavour. Next time I will add Old or Sharp cheddar and cut back on the cream cheese."
"This is one of my favorite macaroni & cheese recipes, always so creamy."
"Great dinner for any day of the week! Love this mac and cheese!"
"This is the only macaroni and cheese recipe you'll ever need! A hit for dinner, any night of the week."
"I had never bothered to make homemade mac & cheese before, and am really glad I made this! It is awesome! Super creamy. At first I thought there was too much sauce for the noodles but that's what makes it creamy and rich. Added lots of bacon to make it a main dish."
"5 stars for taste and texture! I did not top with breadcrumbs and bake because we don't care for our mac and cheese like this. It was too creamy, but again this could be in part because I did not bake. I already did use about 1/2 cup extra macaroni as I anticipated this. I will make it again with additional pasta. It was very easy, yet creamy and delicious."
"This is my splurge....the creamiest mac & cheese I've ever had! Can't get enough"
"My favorite mac and cheese recipe. Cream cheese and cheddar. Yum"