The sauce for this chicken is simply sensational. It is packed with great herb and vegetable flavor. The leeks, fennel and portobello mushrooms make it feel elegant, but it's very easy to make.—Jamie Miller, Maple Grove, Minnesota
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (5 ounces each)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), halved and thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 3/4 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Madeira wine
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds
- Preheat oven to 400°. Combine thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper and coriander; rub over chicken. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook chicken in 2 tablespoons butter 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In same skillet, saute leeks and chopped fennel in remaining butter 4-6 minutes or until just tender. Add mushrooms; cook 5 minutes longer or until mushrooms are tender.
- Add flour; cook and stir 1 minute. Gradually add wine and simmer 2 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over chicken and sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165°. Sprinkle with fennel fronds. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Company Chicken Madeira in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p41