I first tried this casserole at a family dinner years ago. It's a great dish because it goes into the oven before guests arrive. Just before serving, make rice or noodles and toss a salad. --Barbara Treiuthick, Aurora, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 2 hours
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- Hot cooked rice or noodles
- In a bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture; toss gently. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 2 hours or until hot and bubbly. Serve with rice or noodles.
In addition to being served as a dessert, quick-cooking tapioca is also often used as a thickener. Store uncooked tapioca in a cool dry place for up to 2 years.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 243 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 612mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Company Casserole in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.