I first tried this casserole at a family dinner years ago. It's a great dish because it goes into the oven before guests arrive. Just before serving, make rice or noodles and toss a salad. --Barbara Treiuthick, Aurora, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 2 hours
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- Hot cooked rice or noodles
- In a bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture; toss gently. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 2 hours or until hot and bubbly. Serve with rice or noodles.
In addition to being served as a dessert, quick-cooking tapioca is also often used as a thickener. Store uncooked tapioca in a cool dry place for up to 2 years.