After wanting to make my own homemade fish 'n' chips I came up with this recipe for fish fillets. Fish cooked in this coating mix also make a nice, warm open-faced sandwich on buttered Danish rye bread or even a hamburger bun.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried dill
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a pie plate or pasta bowl.
- In another pie plate or pasta bowl, beat 1 large egg until well combined.
- Dip fillets in egg and then in coating mixture; covering it up and pressing lightly with a fork. Gently shaking of excess mixture, place on a dinner plate lined with waxed paper.
- Heat a large fry pan over medium heat (or just slightly higher) that has just enough oil to cover the bottom of pan.
- Place fish in pan and fry for about 5 to 7 minutes per side, until golden.
- Covers about 6 fish fillets. Yield: serves 6