- 6 egg whites
- 135 grams granulated sugar (4.8 oz)
- 3 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 60 grams melted butter (2.1 oz)
- 3 Tbs boiling water
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 60 grams coarse flour (Wondra flour in the U.S.)*
- Preserves of choice (raspberry is particularly good)
- 1/2 pint whipping cream, whipped with 2 Tbs sugar
- 10 medium-sized fresh strawberries, hulled (or other fresh berries)
- *This recipe requires use of Wondra flour. It can be found in the baking section of grocery stores near the flour. It is most often used in the U.S. for gravies. In Czech Republic they use a special flour called "hrube mouka"
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until firm. Mix the rest of the ingredients in a separate bowl (with wooden spoon, not a mixer). Add slowly to the egg whites and mix with a mixer on the lowest speed.
- Pour batter into a buttered and floured (all-purpose best for this) cake pan (I use 9", but 8" OK, but affects baking time) for 15-25 mins until toothpick comes out clean. Cool.
- Top the cake with preserves or jam of choice slathered on evenly. Then top the preserves with home-made whipped cream. Decorate the cake with strawberries or other berries of choice. Tastes wonderful with Champagne for dessert. My husband and I also eat it for breakfast. Refrigerate. Yield: serves 6
Reviews forCzech out this Chocolate cake
"This is a small light one-layer cake with with the wonderful combination of chocolate, raspberry (or other) preserves/jam, whipped cream and fresh berries. It's like eating a slice of heaven! The cake did seem to deflate slightly after being taken out of the oven, but it was still moist and airy in texture from the egg white batter."