- 1-3/4 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- 6 teaspoons butter, divided
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (3 ounces) solid white tuna, drained
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- 2 teaspoons minced chives
- 2 sliced Muenster cheese (3/4 ounce each)
- 2 tablespoons soft bread crumbs
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt 5 teaspoons butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the cream cheese, tuna, pimientos and chives. Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Drain noodles. Spread 1/4 cup tuna mixture into a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the noodles, 1/2 cup tuna mixture and one slice of cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt butter; stir in bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forComforting Tuna Casserole
"I chose to double this and am glad I did. The leftovers were great. As other reviewers suggested I also added garlic salt and extra Muenster cheese."
"Made this last night and it was excellent. Used a couple extra slices of Munster cheese. Delicious!!!"
"This tuna casserole is a lot like the one my grandma use to make. I had never heard of or used muenster cheese, so I was just going to leave it out. However, I saw a small block of it at the grocery store for $4 and decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did. I graded it up and mixed it into the casserole. I also added mushrooms and peas. I made the sauce as suggested but used cream cheese with chives. I decided to top my casserole with crushed ritz crackers and Parmesan cheese. I also trippled this recipe because I needed to serve 6. Very good and my new go to tuna casserole recipe."
"This is a very tasty old fashion tuna recipe. I agree it needs more salt. I also added a little parmesan cheese to the sauce. Instead of bread crumbs I sprinkled a little grated cheddar cheese on top, after all I am from Wi. add cheese to everything. I definitely will make it again."
"I doubled the recipe, but had to add 2 cups of liquid to the roux to make it a sauce. Wonder if a "1" was forgotten before the "3/4 cup" of milk? Added peas and mushrooms, definitely used the chives and roasted pimentos. Anything to add some more flavor to a cassarole is good!"
"This was a Friday night staple for many years when my kids were growing up. Pimentos were a luxury so were left out but I added a can of peas just before baking. Ritz crackers were a treat but made it sooooo good."
"It is really good with Ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs."
"needs to bring salt before comes on my table regularly."
"Will make it"
"Soooo good! Will make this again and again, but next time, I'll double the servings so we can both have seconds!"