Comforting Spoon Bread
Here's a comforting side dish that has saved quite a few ordinary meals at our house. To spice it up a bit for Christmas, I stir in a can of holly-green chopped chilies. It's as good for breakfast as it is at lunch or dinner.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; set aside. In another bowl, beat egg yolks; set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring milk to a boil. Whisk in cornmeal and salt. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the corn, butter and baking powder. Stir in egg yolks. Fold in egg whites.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or just until set. Serve immediately with a spoon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 166 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 483mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Corn Spoon Bread in Country Woman Christmas 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.