Comforting Chicken Casserole
Total TimePrep: 1-3/4 hours + cooling Bake: 1 hour
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 3 quarts water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 eggs, beaten
- In a soup kettle, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from broth. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; dice and set aside. Strain broth and skim fat; discard onion, celery and bay leaf. Set aside 6 cups broth for sauce.
- In a large bowl, combine stuffing cubes, parsley and sage. Saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Add to stuffing mixture and mix well; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add reserved broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer half of the chicken, stuffing and sauce. Repeat layers. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a knife comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 373 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 176mg cholesterol, 727mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 2, 2014
Delicious! I made this exactly as written and served it with buttermilk biscuits and roasted asparagus.
Jul 13, 2013
This recipe is perfect for a weeknight family dinner! Use chicken broth or stock as a substitution for water and add 1 tsp each garlic powder and lemon peel for an extra flavor boost.
Mar 18, 2013
Very tasty, but would have enjoyed it more with some vegetables. Almost like a chicken pot pie without the crust.