Comforting Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 frying chicken (about 2-1/2 pounds each), cut up
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) sliced mushrooms or 1/2 pound fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chicken broth or dry white wine
- 2 cups canned tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cooked spaghetti
- 1. Place flour in a paper or plastic bag. Shake chicken, a few pieces at a time, to coat. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Brown chicken on all sides. Remove chicken and set aside. In the skillet, add garlic and onions; saute until onion is soft. Add mushrooms, broth, tomato puree, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Return chicken to skillet; cover and simmer 1 hour or until chicken is tender. Serve over spaghetti. Yield: 8 servings.
If Cooking for Two: Freeze in serving-size portions to enjoy later.
10 ounce-weight: 402 calories, 15g fat (0 saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 33mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 39g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Comforting Chicken Cacciatore
"Almost - but not quite - as tasty as it is comforting."