Comforting Chicken Cacciatore
This recipe has been in my family for a long time. I remember my grandmother making it on special occasions. In those days, chicken was a treat, and we relished every bite—especially if Grandmother cooked it!
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour 20 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 frying chicken (about 2-1/2 pounds each), cut up
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chicken broth or dry white wine
- 2 cups canned tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cooked spaghetti
- Place flour in a paper or plastic bag. Shake chicken, a few pieces at a time, to coat. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Brown chicken on all sides. Remove chicken and set aside. In the skillet, add garlic and onions; saute until onion is soft. Add mushrooms, broth, tomato puree, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Return chicken to skillet; cover and simmer 1 hour or until chicken is tender. Serve over spaghetti.
If Cooking for Two: Freeze in serving-size portions to enjoy later.