Comforting Banana Pudding
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 vanilla wafers
- 1 large firm banana, sliced
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir 1 cup hot mixture into egg; return all to the pan and bring to a gentle boil. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Layer vanilla wafers and banana slices in parfait glasses or bowls. Top with pudding.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 686 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 132mg cholesterol, 173mg sodium, 140g carbohydrate (124g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 3, 2009
My 11-year-old daughter is taking beginning French. Tomorrow, as a treat for the end of the academic quarter, her teacher will be making crêpes. The teacher encouraged the kids to bring in different sweet fillings for the crêpes. Of course, I didn't learn about this until around two hours ago. After doing a quick mental rundown of what groceries I have on hand, I suggested from-scratch vanilla pudding with a cut-up banana. We whipped this up, and it was quick and easy. We also sampled it and it's delicious. I wish I could be there to sample the crêpes tomorrow!