It's been such a long time since I added this recipe to my file that I don't even remember where it came from! Cooking's something I thoroughly enjoy—and, when I'm finished, my husband always wonders which truck ran through our kitchen! Somehow, I manage to cover every bit of counter space. We have two children, 8 and 6. In addition to cooking. I'm an avid sewer.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cooked whole kernel corn
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed cheese crackers
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- In a medium bowl, combine the egg, corn, crackers, green onions, parsley and Worcestershire sauce; set aside. In a large bowl, combine ground beef and seasonings.
- On sheets of waxed paper, pat half of the beef mixture at a time into an 8-1/2-in. circle. Spoon corn mixture onto one circle of meat to within 1 in. of the edge. Top with second circle of meat; remove top sheet of waxed paper and seal edges. Invert onto a well-greased wire grill basket; peel off waxed paper.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat, for 12-15 minutes on each side or until thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. For oven method, place burger on a baking pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Cut into wedges to serve.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 364 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 551mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 33g protein.
Originally published as Colossal Cornburger in Country Woman July/August 1993