Colorful Zucchini Spears
A bit of bacon lends hearty flavor to this colorful side dish, while low-fat cheese helps keep the calories in check. Jan Caldwell sent the recipe from her kitchen in Shingle Springs, California.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 bacon strip, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 plum tomato, halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- In a small nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until cooked but not crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels to drain. Cut zucchini in half widthwise; cut halves lengthwise into quarters. Place in an ungreased shallow 1-qt. baking dish.
- Combine the salt, oregano, garlic powder and pepper; sprinkle half over the zucchini. Top with tomato, onion, remaining seasonings and bacon. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until zucchini is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 85 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Colorful Zucchini Spears in Cooking for 2 Spring 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.