Colorful Veggie Casserole
When I retired from the U.S. Army s few years ago, I began tinkering in the kitchen and now work in there regularly. This casserole is chock-full of vegetables and flavor and couldn't be easier to prepare. —Marion White, La Center, Washington
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 pounds frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese,
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, saute the onions, carrot, celery, peppers and garlic in oil until crisp-tender. Transfer to a large bowl; add the hash browns, soup, 1 cup cheddar cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, parsley and salt.
- Pour into a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses and paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 176 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 414mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Colorful Veggie Casserole in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2001