Colorful Summer Veggie Salad
For a deliciously different salad, I suggest this lightly dressed version without lettuce. It's especially good when I use fresh bounty from our garden. My friends and family love vegetables, so when I serve this colorful salad, it goes fast! —Kimberly Walsh Fishers, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh sugar snap peas
- 1 cup thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow summer squash
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring 4 in. of water to a boil. Add carrots, beans and peas; cook for 4 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water. Place in a bowl; add zucchini, summer squash, onions, red pepper and olives.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine oil, lemon juice, vinegar, parsley, sugar, garlic, salt and pepper; shake well. Pour over vegetable mixture and toss to coat. Refrigerate for up to 1 hour. Just before serving, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Originally published as Summer Veggie Salad in Taste of Home June/July 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.