Colorful Rice Medley
“I found this recipe while searching for something with peas that was different from what I usually serve guests," says Dorothy Pritchett of Wills Point, Texas. "It's colorful, tasty and could go with a variety of entrees.”
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 small sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion in butter for 1 minute. Add rice and red pepper; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until rice is lightly browned.
- Stir in the broth, wine, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in peas; cover and simmer 3-5 minutes longer or until rice is tender and peas are heated through. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 155 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 281mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Peas and Sweet Pepper in Light & Tasty December/January 2008