Colorful Quinoa Salad Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium sweet orange pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon grated lime peel
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork. Transfer to a large bowl; cool completely.
- 2. Stir spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers and green onions into quinoa. In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients until blended. Drizzle over quinoa mixture; toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup: 143 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Colorful Quinoa Salad
"Very pretty salad. I found a similar recipe online that had added a can of cihickpeas and one chopped avocado. I really liked the additions. I, too, like another reviewer do not care for the lime juice so I didn't put in quite as much as stated. I kept testing it until I found the right amount."
"I loved the combination of quinoa and veggies, but I didn't care for the lime & ginger flavor of the dressing. It's a shame that I wasted all those veggies by using a salad dressing that neither my husband nor I liked. I may try this again (halving the recipe next time) and use lemon instead of lime -- or maybe trying a balsamic vinegar dressing.... Upon reviewing the recipe, I think I accidentally doubled the lime peel, which made the salad distasteful. I do plan to make it again, but I will try a different dressing."
"I thought it was good and a nice change from the "normal" salad, but I felt that it was a little bland. I added extra salt to see if that was what was missing, which helped, but still seemed like it was lacking in flavor."
"This is a great recipe! Bright, colorful, flavorful and fresh!"
"This was delicious. I made this for our Sunday dinner to go along with BBQ ribs. Had allot left over so had it the next day. Still was yummy. My first time using Quinoa."
"This recipe is delicioous! I was so thrilled to find a recipe my daughter could eat with all of her food allergies, and we both loved it! I did make some extra dressing the second time I made it because it is just so good!"
"Wonderful salad!!! The dressing is so light and refreshing! Everybody raved about it, even when I took it to work a few days after I made it. Still had good crunch and flavor. This recipe is a keeper."