Colorful Pineapple Pork
Even though I'm cooking to two, I'll still make a small pork roast sometimes and use the leftover meat for this recipe. If you don't have roast left over, this dish can be made with pork tenderloin cutlets, cooked before adding to the recipe.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound cubed cooked pork
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, halved and sliced
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Hot cooked rice
- In a skillet, combine 1 cup water, sugar, vinegar and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add the pork, cucumber, carrot, pineapple, tomato, green pepper and soy sauce. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Combine the cornstarch and remaining water until smooth. Stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 410 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 1441mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 3g fiber), 36g protein.
Originally published as Colorful Pineapple Pork in Reminisce July/August 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.