Colorful Pepper Frittata
Our taste testers loved this fluffy breakfast packed with three kinds of bright sweet peppers and minced fresh basil. It’s filling and tasty, full of fresh flavors to start the day. —Jessie Apfe, Berkeley, California
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 large eggs
- 8 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped sweet red peppers
- 1 cup chopped sweet yellow pepper
- 1 cup chopped sweet orange pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk together first four ingredients. Stir in mozzarella cheese and basil.
- In a 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add peppers; cook and stir until tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Pour in egg mixture; remove from heat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, until eggs are completely set, 20-25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 wedge: 188 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 137mg cholesterol, 672mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Colorful Pepper and Basil Frittata in Light & Tasty June/July 2007