In Delano, Minnesota, Marlene Muckenhirn stirs up a light buttermilk and herb dressing to coat this colorful combination of green peas, crunchy carrots and mozzarella cheese cubes.
Recommended: Salad Recipes Across America
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen peas
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cubed part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook carrots in a small amount of boiling water for 2 minutes. Add peas; cook 5 minutes longer. Drain; rinse in cold water and drain again. Place in a bowl; add celery, cheese and onions.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; pour over vegetable mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Colorful Pea Salad in Quick Cooking March/April 1999, p16
Reviews forColorful Pea Salad
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 30, 2013
"I added some more cheese than the recipe called for because we love cheese. It was a great side dish with grilled chicken."