Colorful Hamburger Rice
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 3 cups water
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup each frozen corn, peas and cut green beans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, beef, vegetables, butter and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Add rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 225 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 396mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Mar 23, 2015
I made this and substituted chicken broth for 1 cup of the water and added in 1 cup of Stubb's Original BBQ sauce. I also mixed in 2 cans of beans-1 black and 1 chili (without draining them). It added a nice tex-mex style flavor. Topped with shredded cheddar cheese and served with warm cornbread it was a quick and easy hit. There was enough to feed my family of 6!
Sep 10, 2012
I used super lean ground beef and left out the butter; used fat-free beef broth instead of water, and added 1 t. each basil, oregano, thyme, and marjoram. Even with those changes it was a bit blah, so we added a spoonful of soy sauce to individual servings, and that was good. For vegetables I used 1 large chopped zucchini and a package of thawed mixed vegetables. It tasted better the second day.