Colorful Green Bean Salad
• “A neighbor showed me how to make Green Bean Salad, and the men in my family really like beans served this way,” writes field editor Mildred Sherrer of Fort Worth, Texas. “They’re crisp-tender and colorful with bits of tomato, egg and parsley.”
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 pound fresh green beans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 1 hard-boiled large egg, chopped
- Place beans in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and immediately place beans in ice water. Drain and pat dry. Place in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour over beans and toss to coat. Add the tomato, onion, parsley and capers; gently toss. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Just before serving, sprinkle with egg.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 107 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Summer Green Beans in Taste of Home June/July 2006