Colorful Green Bean Medley
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet orange pepper, cut into strips
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Place green beans in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute orange pepper and water chestnuts in butter until tender. Add the garlic, salt, onion powder, basil and pepper; cook 1 minute longer. Add beans; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 80 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 232mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jul 28, 2010
Love this recipe!! I think this is quickly becoming one of my favorite vegetables to serve with dinner. I too added a red pepper and the colors also make it a great dish to serve for company. I have tried this with both fresh and frozen green beans and loved it either way. I have no trouble getting my kids to eat their veggies when I make this recipe.
Feb 17, 2010
Great flavor, love the contrasting crunch from the water chestnuts. I also used red peppers for a different look!
Jan 27, 2010
Not only was this quick and easy to put together the flavors blended beautifully and tasted even better the second day. Instead of just the orange pepper I used a bit of red pepper, yellow pepper and orange pepper to add even more color.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.