Colorful Gazpacho Salad
The combination of flavors from the tomatoes, jicama and cilantro make this salad great for picnics, potlucks, cookouts and salad buffets. It is delicious.—Brenda Hoffman, Stanton, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 5 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup chopped peeled cucumber
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 cups torn romaine
- 1 cup diced peeled jicama
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, red pepper and corn. In a small bowl, whisk the lime juice, vinegar, water, garlic, oil, salt, pepper and pepper flakes. Drizzle over tomato mixture; toss to coat. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Just before serving, combine the romaine, jicama and cilantro. Place 1 cup on each of eight salad plates; top each with 1/3 cup tomato mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 58 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable.
Originally published as Colorful Gazpacho Salad in Country Woman Christmas 2008