Colorful Garbanzo Bean Salad
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing
- 1 medium sweet red pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Broil pepper 4 in. from the heat until skin blisters, about 5 minutes. With tongs, rotate pepper a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place pepper in a small bowl; cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Peel off and discard charred skin. Remove stem and seeds; chop pepper. In a large bowl, combine the pepper, garbanzo beans, tomatoes and basil. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, lemon zest and pepper. Pour over bean mixture; toss to coat. Chill until serving.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 174 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 436mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 4, 2016
Lovely and easy. I used my home canned roasted red peppers. Made a little more dressing. I would make this again. Great lunch with a piece of bread and butter. Janet. VFE
May 2, 2015
good but it was missing something.
Jan 30, 2015
Nothing special. I was really looking forward to this one, but it failed to knock my socks off. Won't be making it again.
Aug 14, 2012
EVEN MY KIDS LOVE THIS!!!!