Colorful Garbanzo Bean Salad
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing
- 1 medium sweet red pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Broil pepper 4 in. from the heat until skin blisters, about 5 minutes. With tongs, rotate pepper a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place pepper in a small bowl; cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Peel off and discard charred skin. Remove stem and seeds; chop pepper. In a large bowl, combine the pepper, garbanzo beans, tomatoes and basil. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, lemon peel and pepper. Pour over bean mixture; toss to coat. Chill until serving.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 174 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 436mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Jul 4, 2016
Lovely and easy. I used my home canned roasted red peppers. Made a little more dressing. I would make this again. Great lunch with a piece of bread and butter. Janet. VFE
May 2, 2015
good but it was missing something.
Jan 30, 2015
Nothing special. I was really looking forward to this one, but it failed to knock my socks off. Won't be making it again.
Aug 14, 2012
EVEN MY KIDS LOVE THIS!!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.