Our small community is the cheese capital of Manitoba. This is a favorite recipe from my husband's aunt, who works at the local cheese factory.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cauliflowerets
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked white rice
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the oil, carrots, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, ham and onion. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in the rice; cook until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese. Remove from the heat; cover for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Colorful Vegetable Medley in Country Extra March 2002, p51