Colorful Broccoli Cheddar Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 5 whole wheat English muffins, split, toasted and quartered
- 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 8 large eggs
- 2-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add green onions; cook and stir until tender. Add broccoli, red pepper and garlic; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a large bowl; season with pepper.
- Place English muffins in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, cut sides up. Top muffins with vegetable mixture and sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, mustard and, if desired, hot sauce. Pour over top. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 20-30 minutes longer or until egg mixture is set. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 273 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 228mg cholesterol, 529mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Sep 27, 2017
This is delicious. I love the convenience of stratus. This has a very nice texture with the English muffins, I will make this again. Janet. VFE
Sep 15, 2017
My husband saw this recipe and wanted it for breakfast when he has his "boys breakfast club" session. I used regular English muffins and they love things hot so added a bit more hot sauce plus used a jalapeno along with the red pepper. To serve I did take the muffins out of the pan and not cut it - and they scooped the leftovers on top of their portion. They loved it