When we have houseguests, we make broccoli and cheese strata the night before so we can relax and visit while it bubbles in the oven. —Gale Lalmond, Deering, New Hampshire
Featured In: 30 Better-for-You Breakfasts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 5 whole wheat English muffins, split, toasted and quartered
- 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 8 large eggs
- 2-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add green onions; cook and stir until tender. Add broccoli, red pepper and garlic; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a large bowl; season with pepper.
- Place English muffins in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, cut sides up. Top muffins with vegetable mixture and sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, mustard and, if desired, hot sauce. Pour over top. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 20-30 minutes longer or until egg mixture is set. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Colorful Broccoli Cheddar Casserole in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2015, p15