Colorful Bean & Barley with Almonds Salad Recipe
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking pearl barley
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup slivered California almonds, roasted*
- 1/3 cup diced scallions
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Bring vegetable broth to a boil in a medium pot. Stir in barley.
- 2. Cover and reduce heat; simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, place kidney beans, bell pepper, zucchini, almonds and scallions in a large salad bowl.
- 3. Transfer cooked barley to colander and rinse with cold water (both to cool it down and to keep it from getting sticky).
- 4. Transfer cooled, drained barley to salad bowl. Add oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste, and toss well. Yield: 4 servings.
*To roast almonds, spread in an ungreased baking pan. Place in a preheated 350° oven and bake 10 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant; stir once or twice to ensure even browning. Note that almonds will continue to roast slightly after removing from oven.
1-1/4 cups: 488 calories, 16g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 687mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 18g fiber), 19g protein.