Colorful Barley Salad
Chili powder and cumin give this distinctive barley salad a subtle Tex-Mex flavor. It's a super make-ahead side dish. Folks commented on how hearty and tasty it was when we served it at our wedding barbecue.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 40 min.
- 3 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups medium pearl barley
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 6 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, combine chicken broth and water; bring to a boil. Add barley; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until barley is tender. Cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, garlic, chili powder and cumin; pour over barley and toss well. Gently stir in the remaining ingredients. Transfer to a serving bowl; cover and refrigerate overnight.