VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1-2/3 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In another bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour, caraway and lemon extract; mix well.
- Add salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Spoon into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 300° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Colonial Caraway Cake in Taste of Home October/November 1998, p41