Cold-Day Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups uncooked whole wheat egg noodles (about 4 ounces)
- 3 cups coarsely chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add celery, carrots and onion; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Add broth, basil and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir in noodles; cook 12-14 minutes or until al dente. Stir in chicken and parsley; heat through.
1-1/2 cups: 195 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 639mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Dec 31, 1969
Very good - needs a little extra broth. This is very favorable.
Jan 8, 2018
This soup is SO flavorful!! The entire family loved it . . . thanks for sharing!
Jan 4, 2018
I've made this type of chicken soup recipe for years only without the basil and it's always delicious. Sometimes I use a small amount of thyme instead of parsley but the parsley brings a nice refreshing lightness to the soup; and I use fresh chicken to add nutrients as well as a touch of vegetable broth. Have it always when anyone or myself get a cold and it's so comforting!
Dec 31, 1969
Lots of flavor. Used half chicken half vegetable broth. No celery so added broccoli. Baked my own chicken breast so I didn't need to leave my house. May need to add more broth. My family likes more broth. Will make again.
Oct 23, 2017
So good and so easy! It was exactly what we needed on this cold, rainy day!
Oct 20, 2017
This soup is very good!
Sep 13, 2017
I made this recipe for a sick friend. It was super easy. Good starting point for a classic chicken noodle soup.
Feb 9, 2017
This recipe is a classic! Perfect choice for dinner, with a few good "shortcuts" for a busy day (thank you, rotisserie chicken, for all your flavor!). Pair it with some homemade bread and it is the ultimate in comfort food.
Jan 5, 2017
This is a quick and easy soup! Perfect for a cold winter day! My kids gobbled it up! I would make it again.
Sep 24, 2016
Such an easy soup - made this quickly and it disappeared just as quickly - love this soup