Coffee Stirrer Sticks
As a holiday novelty, it's hard to lick this lollipop for grown-ups! It doubles as a coffee stirrer, and it makes a special party favor or stocking stuffer.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 15 min. + cooling
Makesabout 1 dozen
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 wooden lollipop or craft sticks
- Plastic wrap
- Red and green ribbons
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, coffee, corn syrup, cocoa and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 290° (soft-crack stage), about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Immediately stir in vanilla, then pour into a greased 2-cup heat-proof glass measuring cup. Working quickly, pour tablespoonfuls into circles on a greased baking sheet and lay a stick in each circle. Allow to cool until hardened. When cooled, wrap with plastic wrap and tie with ribbon. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 70 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Coffee Stirrer Sticks in Country Woman Christmas 1998