VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 3/4 cup plus 1/3 cup water, divided
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides. Remove and set aside. Add onion to the pan; saute until tender. Add garlic and seasonings; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add the coffee, 3/4 cup water and stock; return roast to pan. Bring to a boil. Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove beef to a serving platter; keep warm. Combine flour and remaining water until smooth. Stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Set aside 2 cups shredded cooked Coffee Roast Beef for Mini Beef Chimichangas and 1/2 pound cooked cubed beef for Spinach Beef Stew. Slice remaining roast and serve with gravy. Yield: 6 servings plus leftovers.
Originally published as Coffee Roast Beef in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p82