Homemade marshmallows are extraordinary and bear no resemblance to the store-bought variety. These will soon become your signature Christmas candy!—Deirdre Cox, Kansas City, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup plus 3/4 cup cold water, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1 cup ground pecans
- Line an 8-in. square pan with foil and grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter; set aside.
- In a large metal bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup water; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, coffee granules and remaining water. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 250° (hard-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat and gradually add to gelatin. Beat on high speed until mixture is thick and the volume doubles, about 10 minutes. Spread into prepared pan. Cover and cool at room temperature for 6 hours or overnight.
- Sprinkle cutting board lightly with pecans. Using foil, lift candy out of pan; invert onto the cutting board. Cut into 1-in. squares; roll in pecans. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.