Coffee Nut Torte
Every year at Bible school when I was growing up, we enjoyed this dessert as an extra-special treat. I still serve it to appreciative guests.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups fine graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup cold strong coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks; beat until light. Sift together flour and baking powder; add cracker crumbs. Add alternately with coffee to creamed mixture, beating well until smooth. Stir in vanilla and nuts.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; fold into batter. Pour into two 8-in. round waxed paper-lined baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes. Cool completely.
- For filling, prepare pudding with milk and coffee; chill. Fold in cream. Split each cake layer and spread with filling.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 340 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 373mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Coffee Nut Torte in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.